Seeking Church Sexton (or Church Custodian)
Hours: 16-24 Hours per week (must be able to work mornings and afternoons)
Supervised by: The Pastor
Compensation: $10-$12 per hour
Cleans and maintains buildings and grounds of the Church of St. Paul & St. James
Essential Duties and responsibilities include the following.
1. Opens and closes buildings except when other persons are authorized to do so.
Adjusts thermostats and lighting.
2. Inspects and cleans sanctuary, classrooms and rest rooms.
3. Plans with supervisor and carries out seasonal tasks such as floor polishing, installation of screens or storm doors.
4. Removes snow and ice from stairs and walks as needed.
5. Replaces light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.
6. Sets up and takes down needed chairs and tables for church meetings and usage by outside groups.
7. Removes rubbish from the premises for proper disposal.
9. Maintains monthly inventory of supplies.
10. Cares for lawns and shrubs as needed.
11. Performs minor repairs and reports needs for major maintenance to the Pastor.
12. Provides needed services related to weddings, memorials, and funerals for which the sexton is compensated separately.
13. Performs other responsibilities as directed and negotiated within the limits of the position.
14. Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
• Must be able to read, write and speak English in an understandable manner.
(a literacy and language requirement may not be necessary in every situation, however, anyone handling chemicals or operating machinery should have the ability to read and understand instructions of use.)
• MUST have one or more years experience in cleaning and caring for a building.
Certificates, licenses, registrations:
• Valid driver’s license
• Sits, stands, bends, reaches and moves intermittently during work.
• Is subject to frequent interruptions.
• Works beyond normal hours for planned functions of the church and emergencies.
• Communicates with supervisor and other church staff, volunteers, members and guests.
• Is exposed to slippery conditions, odors, outside weather conditions, etc.
Specific Requirements and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant it.
• Must be able to deal tactfully with staff, volunteers, members and guests.
• Must maintain care and use of supplies and equipment and make regular inspections of the buildings areas.
• Must possess sight/hearing senses, or use prosthetics that enable these senses to meet the responsibilities of the job.
• Must be able to manage time and multiple tasks and projects.
• May be required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, etc., up to 25 pounds and transport up to 150 pounds with mechanical assistance.
• Must have attention to details
• Must be in good general health.
• Final applicant agrees to submit to a criminal background check and drug test.